Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mother's Day...

Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Since I'm a stay-at-home Mommy it is, as my friend put it so well, like our "evaluation time." Or so it seems. It is this time that I always take a look at the past year and remember all the good memories I have made with my kids. Yesterday I got the opportunity to visit with an old friend that I haven't seen since Ethan was a baby. She was in town on business but came for dinner last night. I hadn't thought about my own mom in a while and this friend went through the most difficult time in my life with me when my mom passed away. So when she asked me, "So how are you since your mom died?" I froze for a second. I took a deep breath and I noticed my voice was a little shaky and I couldn't seem to control it and answered very generic, "real good." But she must have noticed and went on, "how long has it been?" It was at this very point that I had all these emotions come out like she found a door in my heart that I usually keep locked up. As anyone who has lost their mother your heart will never fully heal. But being married to my best friend and being blessed with three beautiful children I feel like my mom would be very happy for me. Now I do miss my mom like crazy since she never got the opportunity to hold any of my children but I somehow feel like she knows them. Now God has also blessed me with an incredible friend and we talk every morning if just for a minute while I load the dishwasher, etc. And today for the first time EVER I cried to her like a child that I missed her and wanted her to come visit me. We live 12 hours away. After I got off the phone I realized the last time I cried on the phone like that was with my mom a few weeks before she died. But I still have great memories of her that make me laugh that comfort me. This Mother's Day I am feeling so thankful that I am a stay-at-home Mommy to three wonderful children, for Mario, and for my special friend that God has blessed me with in my life. And I am looking forward to this Mother’s Day to enjoy with my family!:)

3 comments:

Michelle Shults said...

(Hugs) Hope you enjoy the day with your family!

Kimi VanAntwerp said...

Hello! I'm glad you and the kids enjoyed the e-card. Thank you for mine. It was really cute. You guys are on my mind more than you know but I'm not always good at showing it.You know how life gets so hectic with work, etc. Jim and I got to enjoy some of the "etc." this past weekend. We had an awesome cabin at Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. Did some beautiful hikes..one to a 95ft.waterfall! We were really surprised & impressed with this beautiful place. We made it back in time to eat at my brothers and enjoy the day with our kids. I know you and your family enjoyed Mothers Day. You always have a good time. I know Barbara is watching over you all and is so proud of the woman you've become! Love ya! Kimi

Oliver's said...

I just read this post today, I am touched. You are like a sister to me and I am so proud of you Amy. I know that your mother must have been an incredible person, because she raised such an amazing woman. You are an inspiration to me and I love you. I am so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Miss you more than you know. Love, Paula