Sunday, January 31, 2010

Manners

Ok, I am just going to assume that I have good manners. I mean most people in their thirties do, right? Hmm or do I? Anyways I'm really talking about my kids for now. But when it comes to my kids how can I be sure they have good manners? This is something they will take with them into adulthood. Of course any proud parent wants to just tell themselves, yes my child is kind and courteous and says please and thank you most of the time, well but I don't want to just assume. In my mind that would be what I call lazy parenting on my part, let me explain a few events that happened this weekend that got me thinking about this topic.

1. We are at our local grocery store, just Ethan and me; I had to pick up a few items for dinner so I grabbed one of those handy baskets. The girls are home with Mario. We get to the check out and I simply sat the basket on the counter. The lady checking us out goes on to start throwing our food out of the basket on the moving table(not sure of exact name of this so I'll keep it simple) anyways Ethan, as she is throwing the food, starts to organize the food by categories(frozen, veggies, etc.) very neatly. I was impressed. The lady goes on to ask Ethan what his name is and of course he goes shy and just stands there staring.

Me: Ethan, tell her your name.

Ethan: very, very softly, Ethan

Me: I repeat his name because she couldn't hear him.

The Check out lady: She asks Ethan, “Are you an organized person?” And tells him he did a good job.

Ethan: Stands there until I tell him to answer
her. And may I add had to tell him to say, Thank you!


2. At church another mom caught Ethan and his friend being mean to his friend’s younger brother today while I was visiting a friend for a few minutes I caught the part where this parent was pointing her finger at Ethan and his friend and explaining to them that their behavior was not nice. I immediately jumped in to find out exactly what happened and put Ethan in time out. Now his face was bright red so I know he was embarrassed about the incident. Which I hope is his conscience which is great, but when I asked him to apologize he got again very shy and quiet.

Now Ethan does understand what manners are, but why is it that I find myself having to push him to use them? To say thank you and to use respect and say hi to his friends parents and any adult in general and call them by their last name. Emma struggles with her “good manners” as well. Like table manners, etc. As a parent I want my children to use there manners daily, Am I asking too much out of a 5 and 6 year old? I am learning that bad habits are VERY hard to break. I too am guiltyof starting many bad habits! But I am on a mission to really start working with Ethan and Emma to make sure they always use there good manners and I know one day they will thank me for it, I hope! Please pray I can successfully achieve my challenge! My children are such a blessing to me!!! :)

1 comment:

Oliver's said...

Well since you are the best mommy and daddy I know...you will have this situation whipped into shape in no time. Trevor was the same way. I knew that I had done my job when I was away from them. My children would spend the night with someone or be somewhere without me and parents would go out of their way to tell me how polite they were and what such manners they had. Maybe they are using you for a crutch right now because you are there to remind them. Which is not a bad thing since character is what one does when mommy and daddy aren't watching. Love you guys! Paula